Net Metering of Renewable Energy
- For additional information, contact the Water & Electric Department at 847-716-3558.
- Village of Winnetka Code, Section 13.08.155 Credits for certain renewable energy sources.
- Village of Winnetka Code, Section 13.08.260 Standards for renewable energy sources.
The Village of Winnetka code permits net metering installations for renewable energy systems. The net
metering policy allows customers to place excess renewable energy on the Village's distribution grid,
subject to appropriate protections for the grid and other customers. In exchange, the customer receives
an energy credit on their utility bill. Net metering projects include the following:
- Solar PV and wind energy installations
- Maximum renewable generating unit size of 10kW
- Installation of outdoor disconnect is required
- Equipment must adhere to industry standards for back feed protection
- Required identification of renewable system with warning decal