Village of Winnetka
The Winnetka Fire Department initially began as the Lakeside Hose Company in 1893.
On March 25, 1902, the Winnetka Village Council reated a legally constituted volunteer fire department for the Village of Winnetka by passing Village Ordinance 887. The ordinance provided that the Village be divided into six fire districts and authorized a Fire Marshal and two or more fire companies. The Fire Marshal was to receive a Salary of $50 per year and each member $2 per fire call. The Winnetka Fire Department became a combination paid/volunteer department in the 1930's. In 1993, it became a fully paid department.
The Village of Winnetka’s first ambulance was a 1914 Ford Truck with a canvas enclosure (driven by policemen and volunteers).
In 1952 the Winnetka Fire Department initiated an emergency type ambulance; in 1976 paramedic service began. Since all Winnetka Firefighters are also paramedics, both the engine and aerial truck are paramedic equipped and able to handle all ambulance calls.
This enhanced service delivery allows the engine or aerial truck crew to begin advanced life support measures in the event that our ambulance is not available due to another incident.
510 Green Bay Rd. Winnetka, IL 60093
© 2017 The Village of Winnetka. All rights reserved.