The Village of Winnetka is a municipal body, incorporated in 1869, that operates under the Council-Manager form of government. It is governed by the Village Council, which consists of an elected Village President and six Trustees, whose duties are outlined in the Village Charter and Illinois State Statutes.
All members of the Village Council are elected for two-year terms, with Trustees elected at-large and serving staggered terms. As the elected representatives of Winnetka, the Village Council sets Village policy through the adoption of ordinances, resolutions, motions and budgets.
The Village Council has adopted Procedural Guidelines related to the conduct of its meetings to help ensure the following goals are achieved:
- That the public is fully informed of all actions taken by the Village Council
- That the Village Council’s deliberations and decision-making are fair and open
- That members of the Village Council remain accessible to the citizens of the Village and receive their opinions and concerns with respect
- That those who speak at Village Council meetings respect the time, opinions and rights of others
- That order is maintained at all meetings of the Village Council
Read the rest of the Village Council Procedural Guidelines (PDF).
Form of Government
The Council-Manager form of government, as recognized by the International City/County Management Association (ICMA), combines policy leadership from elected Village Council with the professional experience of an appointed Village Manager. The elected body hires a professional manager to implement its policies. Ultimately, the Manager serves at the pleasure of the Council and his duties include:
- Overseeing day-to-day operations in the Village’s six departments
- Preparing the annual budget
- Recruiting, hiring, and supervising Village staff
- Serving as the Council’s adviser
The Village of Winnetka is located in Cook County, Illinois. The Village is also part of New Trier Township and is bordered by the communities of Glencoe, Kenilworth, Northfield, and Wilmette. Residents of Winnetka are locally represented by members of the Village Council.
In 2021, legislative redistricting based on the 2020 U.S. Census was performed. All of Winnetka is now in the 9th Congressional District, where previously a small portion of the Village remained in the 10th District. The Village continues to be in the 18th State House District and the 9th State Senate District.
Contact information for these other government resources: