Some fall reminders for everyone who is back to school:
- When driving in a school zone, obey the posted speed limit; be mindful of buses with an extended stop-arm and flashing red lights.
- There are many advantages to walking to school. However, children under 10 years of age should be accompanied by an adult or older sibling that can ensure they walk safely.
- Use the sidewalk whenever possible and use marked cross walks to cross the street. Don’t assume that a car will stop for you and remember to watch for traffic.
- Texting and looking at your phone while crossing the street is discouraged.
- The Village recently installed a new pedestrian crossing signal at Willow Road and Provident Ave. Please have your children take advantage of this optimal location to cross Willow Road if they attend Crow Island School.
Halloween is Sunday, October 31. Trick-or-treat hours will be from 2 PM until 6 PM. Residents who choose to participate are encouraged to illuminate the outside of their home to let children know they are welcome. Parents are encouraged to walk with their children as they trick or treat throughout the neighborhood. Motorists should be cautious of increased pedestrian traffic along side streets, as dark costumes and low light conditions can create visibility challenges. Please slow down and be aware of your surroundings when driving throughout the Village. If you do not wish to have trick-or-treaters visit your home, you may download and print a sign discouraging Halloween visitors here.
Please remember to stay vigilant when it comes to the security of your vehicles. Auto burglary prevention continues to be a priority for our officers assigned to the night shift. If you have vehicles parked in your driveway, please do your part to deter theft by removing any valuables, including keys/fobs, and keep your vehicle locked. Illuminate the outside of your home and keep overhead garage doors closed. If you see or hear something suspicious, call 911 immediately. Do not wait until the morning to call the police.