The Engineering Division is a workgroup within the Public Works Department. The Public Works Director is also the Village Engineer, and this workgroup is also staffed by the Assistant Village Engineer and the Village’s Civil Engineer. The Division is responsible for providing many of the Village’s engineering services, especially those related to Village:
- Flood plain management
This is a critical service area in maintaining the Village’s above and under-ground infrastructure. Some of the Engineering Division’s services include:
- Administer the flood plain management program
- Ensure the viability and safety of the sewer systems, as well as the Village’s road network
- Inspect new construction for compliance with drainage and flood hazard requirements
- Perform traffic engineering studies for road improvement projects
- Provide for the Village’s interactive mapping services (GIS)
- Review plans for construction and development projects
- Provide planning and engineering services for construction and maintenance projects
The Division’s traffic engineering work includes conducting intersection traffic control studies, monitoring of traffic signal timing, and determining appropriate pavement markings and control signs for Village streets.
Capital Improvement Projects
Much of the Division’s work is focused on the Village’s ongoing capital improvement projects that are then carried out by other Public Works divisions-including the annual road program and sanitary sewer maintenance.
- Village of Winnetka Engineering Standards (PDF)
- Village of Winnetka Engineering Design Guidelines (PDF)