Board of Fire & Police Commissioners
- 5 PM
- 3rd Thursday of April and October
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Agendas and Minutes
|Margaret Benson||Chair||January 21, 2023|
|Wes Baumann||At-large||July 1, 2023|
|Ed Woodbury||At-large||December 15, 2023|
The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners (BFPC) consists of three members appointed by the Village President, with the advice and consent of the Village Trustees. The BFPC is involved in the appointment, promotion, discipline, and discharge of sworn rank and file members of the Police and Fire Departments.
Powers & Duties
The key duties of the BFPC are:
- Establish qualifications for entry level police officers and firefighters, and for all ranks below Chief and Deputy Chief in the Fire Department and below Chief, Deputy Chief and Commander in the Police Department including setting educational requirements, oral interviews, physical fitness testing, character and background checks, and psychological screening
- Screen applicants for entry level police officers and firefighters
- Prepare, post and maintain a register of eligible candidates (more commonly called “Eligibility Lists”) for entry level police officers and firefighters
- Fill vacancies in entry level police officer and firefighter positions by appointing candidates from the appropriate Eligibility List
- Administer the promotion process for the rank of Police Sergeant, including developing and administering an appropriate examination; preparing, posting and maintaining an Eligibility List; and promoting approved candidates from the Eligibility List
- In certain instances, receive charges, conduct hearings, render findings and make final determinations in disciplinary actions filed by the Police or Fire Department against a sworn police officer or firefighter
- In certain instances, conduct hearings, render findings and make final determinations sustaining, modifying or reversing a disciplinary order of the Chief of Police or the Fire Chief
Rules and Regulations
- BFPC Rules and Regulations (PDF) - Adopted February 28, 2022.