Foreign Fire Insurance Board
- 7:30 AM
- 3rd Monday of the months of January, March, May, July, September, and November
- Winnetka Fire Department: 428 Green Bay Road
Winnetka, IL 60093
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
|Rob Bowne||Secretary||847-716-3372||December 31, 2022|
|Tyler Gunn||Treasurer||December 31, 2022|
|Tim McCloskey||At large||847-716-3389||December 31, 2022|
|Chris Tillson||Chair||847-716-3377||December 31, 2022|
|Katie Schmidly||At large||847-716-3383||December 31, 2022|
|Ryne Clement||At large||847-716-3375||December 31, 2022|
State law requires all members of the Board to be active, sworn members of the Fire Department. Under the provisions of the Winnetka Village Code, the Fire Chief is one of the seven elected members; the other members are elected by active, sworn members of the Fire Department. The FFIB is unique among all of the Village’s boards, commissions and committees, as it is the only public body of the Village in which persons who are not elected or appointed by the Village have discretion to spend public funds.
The FFIB is established by Chapter 3.24 of the Village Code, pursuant to Section 11-10-1 of the Illinois Municipal Code, which requires every municipality that imposes a foreign fire insurance company tax to establish a board to authorize the expenditure of those funds for the maintenance, use and benefit of the Fire Department.
Powers & Duties
The key duties of the FFIB are:
- Adopts rules necessary to carry out the Foreign Fire Insurance Board’s powers
- Sets aside funds for appropriation by the Village Council to the Foreign Fire Insurance Board, pursuant to the levy of the foreign fire insurance company tax
- Spends funds appropriated to the Foreign Fire Insurance Board by the Village Council, to be used for the maintenance, use and benefit of the Fire Department
- Provides a listing of items the Board feels are appropriate expenditures to the Village Council on an annual basis
- The Foreign Fire Insurance Board follows all of the Village’s purchasing and financial policies
- The Foreign Fire Insurance Board’s funds are audited annually to verify the Board’s purchases are for the maintenance, use and benefit of the Fire Department