Proposed Village Code Amendments to Encourage Preservation of Historic or Architecturally Significant Homes
Given the recent demolition or potential demolition of a number of homes that the Landmark Preservation Commission has determined to be historic or architecturally significant, the Village Council is considering amendments to the Village Code to further encourage the preservation of historic or architecturally significant homes. The amendments include:
- Allowing the Landmark Preservation Commission to order the issuance of a demolition delay of a historic or architecturally significant home for a period up to, but not exceeding 270 days from the date the Commission determines that an applicant is required to submit a historic and architectural impact study for the home the applicant wishes to demolish. The demolition delay period is intended to afford an opportunity for an owner to explore and find alternatives to the demolition of a historic and architecturally significant homes.
Currently, the demolition review process, including the delay period, for a historic or architecturally significant home can typically take between 150 and 180 days from the date a complete application is filed with the Village. With the proposed amendment, the typical demolition review process for a historic or architecturally significant home would be between 300 and 330 days from the date of a complete application submittal.
- Providing a 20% maximum building size bonus to any single-family home that the Commission finds to be historic or architecturally significant provided that the home is not demolished or altered in a manner that destroys the home’s historic or architectural significance. The goal of the bonus is to encourage property owners and developers to preserve significant homes rather than demolish them.
The following links will take you to information regarding the Village Council’s discussion regarding how to encourage preservation of the historic and architecturally significant homes and its discussion of the current proposed code amendments.
- January 12, 2021, Village Council Study Session– Discussion leading to proposed code amendments
- February 16, 2021, Village Council Meeting– Discussion of draft proposed code amendments
- March 2, 2021, Village Council Meeting – Public hearing on proposed code amendments. \
If you have questions regarding the proposed amendments, please contact email David Schoon, Community Development Director, or call 847-716-3526.
If you would like to share your thoughts with the Village Council regarding the proposed amendments, please email them or mail them to Village Council, Village of Winnetka, 510 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, IL 60093.